We provide tax tips on available benefits, CRA policies, and more.
Enhancing the Value of Owner-Managed Business: Starting the Transition Ear
- A recent Intelligent Work article discussed guidance provided to Harvard MBA students regarding investing in owner-managed businesses.
Salaries to Family Members: Amounts Paid Must be Traceable
- Family members should be paid for work done for the business in the same manner as other non-family members.
Providing Supplies to Your Contractors: GST/HST Issues
- The details of supply agreements to contractors should be reviewed to determine if GST/HST should be charged.
Director Liability: Properly Resigning
- Directors can be personally liable for unremitted employee source deductions and GST/HST unless they exercise due diligence to prevent failure to remit these amounts on a timely basis.
Life Insurance Policies: Using Tracking Shares
- Holding a life insurance policy in a corporation can be a useful tool to assist with continuity upon death of an owner-manager.
Holding Digital Assets in RRSPs: Pitfalls and Possibilities
- If interested in holding digital assets in a tax-sheltered savings account such as an RRSP, make sure that item is a qualified investment.
Withdrawing From Family RESPs: Flexible Planning Possibilities
- An article considered some possibilities and strategies to discuss when withdrawing funds from a single RESP when children have different financial needs for their education.
Workspace in Home Claims: CRA Reviews
- In the summer of 2021, CRA started to review deductions made by employees working from home during 2020.