The 2021 Federal Budget was released on April 19, we have provided a commentary of the budget to help show how it will impact you and your business.
2021 Federal Budget Commentary
- The Canada Recovery Benefit and related programs will be extended.
- Individuals will have the option to claim a deduction in respect of the repayment of a COVID-19 benefit amount for the year when the benefit was received.
- Access to the disability tax credit will be broadened.
- The Canada Emergency Wage and Rent Subsidies (CEWS and CERS) will be extended.
- The Canada Recovery Hiring Program was introduced.
- The ability to immediately expense 100% of many capital asset purchases was introduced.
- The corporate tax rate on zero-emission technology manufacturing will be halved.
- The disclosure requirements for aggressive tax planning and filing positions will be expanded.
- A 1% tax on the value of vacant or underused real estate owned by non-residents will be implemented.
Sales and Excise Tax
- Access to the GST/HST New Housing Rebate will be broadened for co-owners.
- A new tax of up to 10% will apply to the purchase of luxury vehicles, aircrafts or boats.
Electronic Filing, Payments and Certification
- Some CRA communications will be undertaken electronically without the taxpayer’s authorization.
- Certain levels of payments will be required to be made electronically.
- Intention to proceed with a number of previously announced measures, such as the accelerated CCA changes for zero-emission vehicles, and expanded disclosure requirements for trusts.