Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) – Tax
Are you a new Chartered Professional Accountant (CPA) wanting to specialize in Tax?
A Tax CPA at Buckberger Baerg & Partners LLP will play an important role in delivering outstanding client services to our broad client group and for assisting with the growth and development of our talented staff. The Tax CPA is expected to uphold ethical principles and conduct themselves professionally. Acting with integrity, the Tax CPA will establish close working relationships with our clients, staff and partners to continuously deliver high quality service in accordance to the Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), Generally Accepted Auditing Standards (GAAS), government legislation and Firm Standards. A Tax CPA will always adhere to the quality assurance guidelines established by the Firm.
Education and Experience
- Post-secondary degree/certificate in business or management
- CPA designation – demonstrated commitment to focus on tax including ongoing participation in Tax Group meetings with the intention to register for/ continue in the InDepth Tax Course in the upcoming performance cycle (not for rotational tax positions)
- Knowledge of MS Office and accounting software
- Success with Integrity – We will be honest and forthright in our quest to achieve happiness, balance and wealth.
- Service with Innovation – We will use new ideas, technology, and methods to deliver flexible service.
- Demonstrate superior ethical behaviour and professionalism
- Self-motivated and conscientious
- Excellent communication skills – both verbal and written
- Outstanding interpersonal and organizational skills
- Excellent attention to detail and ability to meet deadlines
- Able to work independently and within a team environment
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills
- Willingness to learn
- Ability to handle multiple priorities and deadlines
- Well-developed leadership and delegating skills
- Development of staff through leadership and coaching
- Highly focused on client service
Primary Duties and Responsibilities
The tax CPA will provide taxation advisory and related advisory services to public and private clients in our diverse industry sectors.
This job description does not deal with every situation that may arise during employment. It is intended to reflect the core responsibilities and tasks of employment with the Firm.
Detailed duties will include but are not limited to:
- Plan and execute engagements related primarily to compliance focused work
- Work with partners and tax managers on corporate reorganization and planning engagements
- Ensure completion of tax compliance requirements on a timely basis (may include federal, provincial, and foreign filings as required)
- Communicate with Canada Revenue Agency and other tax administrations and agencies
- Assist with client audits by CRA or other tax agencies, as well as follow up on any results of audits
- Participate, with partner or managers involvement, in estate planning for clients: wills, insurance, trusts etc.
- Work with the tax technician group, providing support for training, review and supervision of tax tech duties (eg review of more complex T1 Adjustments)
- Draft tax returns to ensure they are complete and submit to managers and partners
- Report and discuss with partners and managers/senior managers any matters encountered that may adversely affect the outcome of the engagement or that may require modification
- Read and review the Income Tax Act and other relevant tax materials to stay current with tax practices
- Carry out all work with an objective frame of mind
- Consult with clients to obtain required information in order to complete the file
- Gather, sort and organize any materials from clients
- Conduct research of client’s business, compile data and prepare papers for consideration and/or presentation to partners or others
- Create and implement the engagement plan, ensuring that relevant budgets and procedures are completed on time and in budget
- Able to justify timelines and budget variances if required
- Clear all review notes on a timely basis and ensure they are complete
- Follow up on any outstanding issues in the completion of the tax project
- Act as a line manager for CPA students (detailed responsibilities below)
- Review tax working papers prepared by junior staff
- Prepare working papers not delegated to junior staff members
- Provide weekly updates on project progress and billing processing to partners/managers to ensure that all work is completed on a timely basis
- Update Practice continually, ensure that budgets are complete and that accurate deadlines are put into Practice
- Prepare complex personal and corporate income tax returns
- Review personal and corporate income tax returns
- Provide business and tax advice to clients
- Provide assistance to clients in areas regarding wealth management, financial advice, tax audits and property investment
- Take initiative to map out entrance into and progression through the In Depth Tax course
- Develop and deliver In House Tax PD as requested
- Take initiative to continuously expand and update professional knowledge and skills to enhance individual and team innovation and productivity
CPA Student Line Manager
- Model the values of the CPA profession
- Responsible for the direct supervision of tax assignments of CPA students
- Ensure student is given all of the information required to complete the tax projects in conjunction with orientation and training
- Review of tax areas of student work throughout the articling period
- Keep current on professional standards to ensure they are always adhered to
- Attend seminars and conferences
- Continuously work to improve written and oral communication
- Perform and complete other accounting-related duties as required
- Positively represent the firm in the community in actions and participation in events, committees, organizations etc. that are of interest to you
Your ability to carry out these duties and others that may be assigned from time to time will be considered as part of your annual performance assessment.
Buckberger Baerg & Partners LLP is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. Proof of vaccination will be required to work in office.